A completed submission to The Orwell Prize for Journalism 2021 consists of three articles published by a recognised publisher or news outlet, a completed entry form and a brief supporting statement (which the entrant may write themselves).
The form should only take a few minutes to complete, but you will need to make sure you have the following items ready before you begin:
- Every submitted written piece must be sent as a PDF or Word document formatted in A4 and accompanied by a permanent, accessible, non-expiring URL where available. Television or radio items may be embedded or submitted as a permanent, accessible, non-expiring URL and should be accompanied by a PDF or Word document transcript.
- Entrants who chose to submit four articles may include one article originally published by the author on a blogging or microblogging site (e.g. personal blogs, Twitter threads), or an additional article published by a recognised publisher or news outlet. Blogs and microblogs should be submitted as permanent, accessible, non-expiring URLs.
- To assist our small administrative team, any files uploaded must be named in the following format: entrant’s surname, entrant’s first name, article number (all one word, with no spaces). For example, Eric Blair’s first article would be titled ‘BlairEric1.doc’ and Eric Blair’s second article would be titled ‘BlairEric2.doc’.
- A byline photograph with no rights reserved must accompany every entry (PNG or JPG).
- This year, to assist the judges, we are asking all entrants to include a ‘supporting statement’ of up to 1200 characters (including spaces), which should be used solely to offer additional context about your entry, including but not limited to: the purpose of your articles and/or project; the reason you took the approach you did; any relevant details about the circumstances in which the work was carried out. The statement may be written by the entrant or themselves or by an editor or publicist entering on their behalf.
- If available, you have the option of also submitting print proofs of your article (JPG, PNG or PDF).
To assist with your entry:
Full rules, criteria and external guidelines are below. For more information, please take a look at the key milestones in the Prize cycle, find out more about the Prizes, or take a look at our answers to some frequently asked questions.
Once the form is submitted successfully you will be taken to a confirmation page: you will also receive an email to your submission email address confirming the details entered.