- Andrea Gillies (Orwell Prize-winning author of Keeper)
- Chaired by Rebecca Nicolson (founder and publisher, Short Books)
- With a brief introduction from Dame Janet Smith (chair, Buxton Festival)
In this talk, Andrea Gillies, winner of the Book Prize for 2010, discusses the inspiration behind her winning book Keeper with her publisher, Rebecca Nicolson. The book chronicles the author’s experience of caring for her mother-in-law, Nancy, as her Alzheimer’s disease accelerates, while running a bed and breakfast, being a mother of three children and failing to write a novel. Keeper also won the inaugural Wellcome Prize for medicine in literature.
- More on Keeper by Andrea Gillies
- Buxton 2010: The greatest political writer – Orwell versus Dickens
- Orwell Prize events at the Buxton Festival 2009