Duncan McLaren’s touching and tender online diaries about visiting his mother, Mabel, in her care home.
In 2003, Duncan McLaren’s mother had a stroke and he moved from London in order to live with his parents in Perthshire. For a few years, while helping in the family home, he was able to carry on writing about the individuals whose creativity fascinated him. Looking For Enid: The Mysterious and Inventive Life of Enid Blyton was awarded Saga Magazine’s Grown-Up Award for Non-Fiction in 2007. However, further deterioration in his mum’s health caused by strokes and falls resulted in her moving to a care home and since then Duncan’s writing has focused on Mabel.
- May 20, 2010: time check
- June 4, 2010: birthday boy
- The chiropody lesson
- August 6, 2010: “Look who’s here to see you!”
- August 20, 2010: the unbreakable umbilical cord
- September 3, 2010: money matters?
- October 1, 2010: home is where the heart is
- October 15, 2010: Huggering
- November 12, 2010: Two weddings and a brick
- November 26, 2010: Glass half full?